Friendship Bread

It's been almost a year since I've updated my blog, but here's a good reason for that:


As you can tell, he's cute, and he's a handful. :)

Anywho, to start posting on my blog more frequently, I'm starting out by posting this recipe so I never have to dig through my email to look for it!! :D

A friend of mine gave me this recipe with a bag of starter about 5 years ago, and I've shared it with many friends.  I've had a bag of starter in my freezer, and I've decided it's time to make it again! :D

If you don't have a bag of starter around, just put 1/3 cup milk, 1/3 cup flour, and 1/3 cup sugar in a gallon-sized freezer bag (like these on Amazon).

Here are the instructions! I don't have a picture of the bread yet (I'm on Day 4 of my starter), but I'll upload a picture when I do!

-------------

FRIENDSHIP BREAD

Do NOT use any type of metal spoon or bowl for mixing.
Do NOT refrigerate
If air gets in the bag, let it out!
It is normal for batter to rise, bubble, and ferment

Day 1: Do nothing (This is the day that the bag is dated or taken out of the freezer.)
Day 2: Mush the bag
Day 3: Mush the bag
Day 4: Mush the bag
Day 5: Mush the bag
Day 6: Add to the bag: 1cup self-rising flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk, then mush the bag
Day 7: Mush the bag
Day 8: Mush the bag
Day 9: Mush the bag
Day 10: Bake the bread following directions below

1. Pour entire contents of the bag into a non-metal bowl

2. Add 1.5 cups sugar, 1.5 cups flour, and 1.5 cups milk and mix with non-metal utensil

3. Measure out 4 separate batters of 1 cup each into 4 1-gallon zipper bags, marking the bags with the day you bake. Keep 1 bag of starter for yourself and give the other 3 to friends along with a copy of the instructions.

4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

5. To the remaining batter in the bowl add:
 - 3 eggs
 - 1 cup of oil
 - 1 cup of sugar
 - 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
 - 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
 - 1/4 teaspoon salt (omit if using self-rising flour for the next instruction)
 - 2 cups of all purpose flour
 - 1 large box of vanilla instant pudding
 - You may also add chocolate chips or nuts if desired

6. Grease 2 large loaf pans (or 1 large loaf pan and 3 small loaf pans to share) and mix additional 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and dust the pans with the mixture.

7. Pour the batter evenly into the 2 pans and sprinkle the remaining sugar mixture over the top (you may also use nuts or chocolate chips)

8. Bake for 1 hour (watch the bread, if browns too quickly, cover with foil and continue cooking). Cool until bread loosens from the pan evenly (about 10 minutes). Turn out onto serving dish. Serve warm or cold.


word art created with wordle.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Cleaning Schedule

Prime Day Deals 2023

Meal Plan for this Week