Saturday, November 27, 2010

Cooking Failure + Cooking Success!

While I was at my mom & dad's house this week, I decided to make a loaf of white bread (they were out of bread, so why not?) Well, they didn't have any yeast, so I looked for a substitute online!  I found several sites that said lemon juice + baking soda.  Since so many people recommended it, I figured it must be safe, right?  Not so much haha!

Here's how the bread turned out...looks different, for sure!
I wouldn't suggest eating it unless you want that fresh-brushed clean....tingly foaming feeling!  Hahaha!


The next day, I decided to try a recipe I had been thinking about in my head.  Dad kept saying he wanted something to snack on while Mom was finishing up her sweet potato casserole and I was finishing the GOOD white bread (with yeast!!!).  I had been thinking about something along the lines of an oatmeal snack bar.  I asked Dad if he wanted cinnamon sugar flavor or peanut butter syrup flavor.  He voted for peanut butter & syrup, just like I guessed!

"Happy Snacks"
  • 1 1/2 cups flour (or bisquick will work as well)
  • 1 cup oatmeal
  • 2 T oil
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter (creamy)
  • 1/4 cup syrup (thick syrup like Golden Eagle Syrup or Loachapoaka Syrup Soppin' Syrup...if you're lucky enough to live in East Alabama or know someone who does!) 
  • 1/2 cup water
Mix everything and cook in an 8x8 sprayed pan at 350* for 30 minutes.

This is really good with more syrup poured on top. :) :) :)
If you want something sweeter without the extra syrup on top, try adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup brown sugar to the mix! :)