Cooking Failure + Cooking Success!

While I was at my mom & dad's house this week, I decided to make a loaf of white bread (they were out of bread, so why not?) Well, they didn't have any yeast, so I looked for a substitute online!  I found several sites that said lemon juice + baking soda.  Since so many people recommended it, I figured it must be safe, right?  Not so much haha!

Here's how the bread turned out...looks different, for sure!
I wouldn't suggest eating it unless you want that fresh-brushed clean....tingly foaming feeling!  Hahaha!


The next day, I decided to try a recipe I had been thinking about in my head.  Dad kept saying he wanted something to snack on while Mom was finishing up her sweet potato casserole and I was finishing the GOOD white bread (with yeast!!!).  I had been thinking about something along the lines of an oatmeal snack bar.  I asked Dad if he wanted cinnamon sugar flavor or peanut butter syrup flavor.  He voted for peanut butter & syrup, just like I guessed!

"Happy Snacks"
  • 1 1/2 cups flour (or bisquick will work as well)
  • 1 cup oatmeal
  • 2 T oil
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter (creamy)
  • 1/4 cup syrup (thick syrup like Golden Eagle Syrup or Loachapoaka Syrup Soppin' Syrup...if you're lucky enough to live in East Alabama or know someone who does!) 
  • 1/2 cup water
Mix everything and cook in an 8x8 sprayed pan at 350* for 30 minutes.

This is really good with more syrup poured on top. :) :) :)
If you want something sweeter without the extra syrup on top, try adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup brown sugar to the mix! :)

Comments

  1. Your recipe sounds good. The kids would enjoy this one, too!! Sorry to hear about your first loaf of white bread. It would've really cool if it would've worked!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, that sounds yummy! Glad you had a good Thanksgiving! And I really like your new blog background!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Cleaning Schedule

Prime Day Deals 2023

Meal Plan for this Week