Bite-Sized Sausage Casserole

Over at Southern Fried Dreams there's a Hospitality Linky Party happening until midnight tonight! I've been thinking this week what my favorite food to serve guests would be (if we were hosting parties in our 500 sq. ft. apartment!) and I'd have to say it would be these little mini casseroles Adam and I came up with!   They've been Sunday School Snack approved!! :)

***Also, here is a variation of my recipe that includes bacon and hot sauce!! :) Blah to Ta-Daa: Yummy Breakfast Casserole (I'm glad you loved it Melissa!!) :)***

I started making Sausage Casserole sometime shortly after we got married because we both love breakfast foods, and not necessarily during breakfast hours.  One day Adam asked if I could make bite-sized ones so he could warm up a few to snack on at work and not necessarily have to sit down and eat (being a fireman, they have some days where they just don't get a break, especially when he was working day-shift this past semester!)  So I gave it a shot, and this is what we came up with!! I don't have any pictures because I didn't take pictures last time I made this. :(

I will say that making the miniature ones isn't as quick as a regular sized casserole, where you just pour the ingredients in.  It takes just a little bit more time, but so worth it! :)

These measurements yield about a 1.5 casserole + 24 (or more if you're feeling it) bite-sized ones!
The bite-sized casseroles are made in a mini cupcake pan


  • 1/2 cup butter (only for large casserole)
  • 1 lb. pork sausage
  • 6 slices bread (cubed...for the big casserole...omit if only making small ones)
  • 1 can flaky biscuits (the buttery, the better :).... again, not needed if only doing a 2 quart casserole)
  • about 2 tsp dried basil
  • about 1 tsp oregano
  • at least a 1/2cup shredded cheese (we love colby-montery jack...and we always add extra because we love cheese a little too much)
  • 6 eggs
  • 2 cups milk
    • Preheat the oven to 350.
    • Brown the sausage and set aside.
    • Beat the eggs well and add milk.  Add in the basil and oregano.
      • For Bite-Sized Casseroles....
        • Open the can of biscuits and separate each biscuit into 3 to 4 layers (some will separate easier than others, just make sure you have enough for all your spaces in your mini cupcake pan)
        • I always spray my mini cupcake pan, even though it's non-stick....just in case...
        • Shape each circle of biscuit dough into it's own mini cupcake slot.
        • Place a few crumbles of sausage (is there a better name for that?) in each compartment.
        • Pour the egg mixture over the sausage SLOWLY because it will want to overflow if you pour too quickly!
        • Sprinkle a little cheese over each mini.
        • Bake until the eggs are set and the biscuits look done (about 15-20 minutes, give or take).
        • (They look like Petite Quiche when they're done!)
      • For Larger Casserole...
        • Melt the butter and pour into your casserole dish.
        • Layer half the cubed bread into the bottom of the dish.
        • Sprinkle about a 1/2 cup of cheese over the bread.
        • Sprinkle the sausage evenly over the bread crumbs, paying special attention to fill in spaces.
        • Give the eggs an extra mix to move the spices around (they like to collect together in the egg mixture) and pour the mixture over the sausage and bread.
        • Cook about half an hour.
        • Just as the casserole begins to look set, pull the casserole out and sprinkle a little extra cheese on top. :)
        • When it's done, cut into squares and serve hot!



Mandy's Yellow Corner

Comments

  1. This sounds so yummy. I believe these will have to be "tested" at our house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delcious! And your blog is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love breakfast and I love casseroles like this! I usually make mine with ham though! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband loves breakfast food so I will give this a try for him! Thanks for sharing and practicing hospitality!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad everyone is excited about this recipe! :) Feel free to change up the spices to whatever you like! We've made it before with some green onion as well. I will say it was a bit strong in the mini casserole, but really tasty in the big casserole! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recipes!!Hi..I’m Barb….I am from NFF. I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
    & get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well.
    I also Am your newest Fan on Facebook & would love for you to be a new Fan of my page too. I am just starting at Facebook.
    Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Cleaning Schedule

Prime Day Deals 2023

Meal Plan for this Week